Wednesday, September 19, 2012

wall of frames

As you may seen in this past post, I have been inspired by empty frames as decor. I decided to take it into my own hands, and onto my walls. And this is how it all went.

I first picked up some frames at various places/times {target, ikea, hobby lobby}; all the frames were bought with a difference purpose in mind. These other projects never came to fruition, and left me with a box of unused frames. After a trip to Hobby Lobby, the purchase of the ampersand, and the veto of my original idea, I came up with a collage of frames for the living room wall. I started by removing the glass and backing, then laid out the frames on the floor in a couple of different arrangements.


Above is attempt one.


Here is attempt two, and similar to what I ended up with on the wall.


After measuring, and remeasuring, marking center of each frame, center of the whole collage, and tracing the frames onto paper I started putting these puppies up on the wall.


I marked the center of the whole collage on the top of the largest frame with a piece of masking tape, and marked the center of the couch up on the wall. I determined the height and mounted the largest frame to the wall. Next I used the paper templates that I made to arrange the rest of the frames on the wall. On the paper templates I marked the point of the hanger with an "X" as seen above. The paper templates made it super easy to hang this beautiful creation of mine {which I hung by myself in thirty minutes}. Once the templates were level and spaced, I hammered in the nails, removed the paper and replace the paper with the frames.


Here is the finished product. The prints are these from Ikea, which I fell in love with before the collage idea, and had to have them at five bucks. I may add to the collage, and expand it over more of the wall, or add to the empty frames {use them as shelves}. For now I am happy with the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment